Friday, February 11, 2005

"Difficult" Poetry

Recently, the subject of "difficult" poems arose in my life. Those who brought it up seem to feel the same way I do about the subject, but, like a kid looking at an ugly spider, we're drawn to what repels us.

One poet mentioned was Cole Swensen. So, I went to http://www.jacketmagazine.com/13/swensen-4.html and read two of the four poems, before I became disgusted. What? Does making NO SENSE mean you are smarter and better than other people?


When I first read Franz Wright's work (go to http://www.webdelsol.com/Perihelion/wright.htm for examples), it made me want to hang myself, but at least his poetry has syntax, gorgeous construction, wonderful language, and is somewhat accessible. Not that I'd want to access much of THAT, unless I'm feeling particularly happy and really want to bring myself down. To be fair, though, I've noticed he's recently been publishing some poetry that's not focused on death and devastation.

What ever happened to Wordsworth?


On the other hand, try reading some poems written by Poet Laureate John Perrault
(http://www.pplp.org/Poet2004.htm). I actually like his poetry... I can identify with his rural, heartland themes. But it transcends that. Somehow it seems to speak more to human History (I do mean to use a capital H) than some of this recent, angst-filled drivel.

I don't need a poem that has NO apparent meaning.

But if that's what sells, I'm in! (For the money, of course.)

So, here goes:

"Title: A Title: B Title: Nada"

By Hannah Six

Incandescent flight pears overhead with saris
that thorn my side like glare (soleil, soleil, soleil)

more than once upon a time, etc. etc. the woman tore her hair
and stairs collapsed (de rien)

bouyant, 1-2-3, shards burst outward
can of cat food, mountain of cans (pas de probleme)

mounting anesthesia, physics realm, dream to nightmare
Oh, Belle Dame Sans Merci. Alarm.

(Copyright 2005 Hannah Six)


See? I can do it too!


What a pile of crap the modern literary scene is. I detest pretension and false importance. Makes me want to retire and write Harlequin Romances for the rest of my life. At least they are honest about what they are, and serve an honest purpose in this world.


OK. That's my rant for the day. Now, go to your bookstore and read some GOOD poems! There are a TON out there, begging for the audience they deserve.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: