Sunday, August 23, 2009

Move closer to your world, my friends

If you’re like me, and I know I am (ok, I stole that from MST3K), long summer days in August bring back memories of your childhood.

For me, that means a week in the Olney section of Philadelphia with my grandparents; blistering heat held off by the air conditioner; and afternoon TV. Channels 17, 29, 48 and later 57. The Stooges, Gilligan’s Island, Batman and great old ads like these:





But the pièce de résistance had to be Action News on channel 6. If you were lucky, the news ran short and you were treated to that famous 70s guitar riff followed by studio singers begging you to “move closer to your world, my friends, take a little bit of time. Move closer to your world and you’ll see...”

Typically it was played over scenes of folks walking the boards at the shore or jogging on the East or West River drive. Maybe some roller skates.

It being August, I found myself in a nostalgic mood, so I surfed the YouTubes for some of the old favorites. What should I find but the FULL WPVI Action News Original Theme, "Move Closer to Your World," and I learned something new about the theme composed by Al Ham in 1972.

In addition to the three popularly heard portions (the fanfare, the vamp with awesome drum fill, and the guitar/vocal), there is a whole piano tinkle section AND an elusive second verse!

So now, for the two of you who actually read through the ENTIRE post (and I’d like to know who you are! Freaks!), I present for your listening pleasure:


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: